KATARZYNA DESZCZ / INTRO:
Director, scriptwriter, tutor -
Katarzyna graduated in Law and Administration at Jagiellonian University and then trained as a director at the Theatre Academy in Krakow, under Tadeusz Kantor, Andrzej Wajda and Krystian Lupa.
Since she graduated (1989), Katarzyna has worked extensively in repertory theatres, where she has done much to focus the attention of audiences on work by Polish & European writers.
In between 1982 and 2003 she lead (together with Andrzej Sadowski) the Mandala Theatre, where she did a lot of her own artistic projects represented on hundreds of stages in Poland and abroad.
Katarzyna Deszcz, has also been working as a television director for the main Polish television channel (TVP 2). /„Treausure from the dream”, Love & Stars" and another productions/
From 2003 to 2006 she was the Head & Artistic Director of State Mickiewicz’s Theatre in Częstochowa.
Beyond theatre directing, Katarzyna also teaches. Since 1992 she has been leading workshops for directors and actors in many different theatre centers all around the World, among others: Dartington College of Art (Devon, UK) or Central School of Speech & Drama, London (UK), Riverside Studios (UK), The Actors Centre (UK), and many others (including International Workshop Festival).
From 1999 to 2008 she was tutor at The Academy of Fine Arts in Kraków, at the scenography department, where she had taught the students how to work efficiently, and how to work on the drama works.
Recently she is working as a teacher at the Frycz Modrzewski Academy in Krakow/actors dpt/ & as visiting tutor at the Guildford School of Acting /UK/. She is leading also workshops sessions for actors & theatre directors. More information about the workshops: workshops →
- Prize for "Twelfth Night" at the Ludowy Theater in Krakow for the best Shakespearean performance of the year. International Shakespeare Festival, Gdańsk 2003
- Golden Mask for Director of the Year - for the performance "Ivonne Princes of Burgundy by W. Gombrowicz" at the State Theatre in Częstochowa. Silesia 2005.
- Award of the President of Częstochowa in the field of culture. Częstochowa 2006.
- Golden Mask 2007.
- Grand Prix - for the best performance & for best directing of "Mother" at the New Theatre in Zabrze - XIII Festival of Contemporary Drama, Zabrze 2013.
- Golden Yorick - William Shakespeare's Best Staging of Drama Competition for the best performance of the season for the "The Taming of the Shrew" from Teatr im. Żeromski in Kielce. International Shakespeare Festival, Gdańsk 2014.
- Grand Prix award for the best performance for the "Mothers" from Teatr Nowy in Zabrze. Fanaberia Theatre Festival 2017
- Award of the Young Jury for directing and an accurate presentation of a social problem in "Nema" from New Theatre in Zabrze. XVIII Festival of Contemporary Drama, Zabrze 2018.
- Award of the Young Jury for directing the play "A Doll's House, Part 2" from New Theatre in Zabrze. XX Festival of Contemporary Drama, Zabrze 2021.
Photo: Karin Dziatkova